Dum Aloo Kashmiri | Vegan | Gluten Free

This is one of my hubby's fav! I have attempted this dish one time before and it was a total flop! I was totally dejected, and wanted to try my hands on this recipe again to get a approval nod from my hubby. Then I landed upon this recipe in Raks Kitchen and it was a super hit in my house. My in-laws and hubby loved it! I served it with hot rotis.
I have never been comfortable using yogurt/curd in my gravy recipes. I was unsure on how the final dish would turn out to be. I guess I had cooked the curd for longer than needed the first time, so the dish was a total flop. But this time, I was very careful on cooking it just for a short while that too on low-medium heat and the final result was perfect.
Finally found the perfect recipe for Dum Aloo! Thanks Raks :)



Serves 2 - 4
Ingredients Required:
Baby Potatoes - 1 lb, boiled and peeled
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Tomato - 1, finely chopped
Thick Curd - 1/2 cup
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Cilantro chopped - few
Oil - 1 tblsp

To roast and grind:
Onion - 1, roughly chopped
Cardamon - 1
Cloves - 2
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Cashews - 10, soaked in water


To Temper:
Oil - 1 tblsp
Cinnamon - 1
Bay Leaf - 1


How to make?
Pressure cook the potatoes for 1 whistle, peel the skin and fry them in 2 tblspn oil, till golden brown.
Take a knife or fork and make small slits on the potatoes so it would absorb the gravy. Set it aside.
In the same pan, fry the onion, cloves, cumin seeds, cardamon. Grind them with the soaked cashews and some water to a fine paste.
Heat some more oil in the same pan, and add the ingredients under the 'To Temper'. Fry for a minute.
Add the finely chopped onion and the ginger garlic paste. Fry till the onions are well cooked.
Add the tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes until the tomato is well cooked.
Add the ground paste and all the masala powder and salt.
Fry in medium heat till the oil separates from the gravy.
Reduce the heat to low and slowly add in the curd little by little, stirring it in the gravy continuously.
Add the roasted potatoes and 1 1/2 cup water and bring it to a boil on medium heat.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with Indian Bread of your choice!






Comments