Gongura Thokku | Pickle | Vegan | Gluten Free

I just bought some fresh Gongura Leaves from the Indian Store. This is not a regular item which is available, it is seasonal and I usually buy it when I see it because I love the Gongura Thokku! Spicy sour tangy thokku :) I have never made it before, but my MIL taught me how to make it during her visit here, and from then on I usually buy the fresh leaves whenever they are available. 
These have a shelf life of 1 week at room temperature and few weeks when refrigerated. They go well wit Idly, Dosa, Chappathi and my favorite is mixed with rice - Gongura Rice!

Ingredients Required:
Gongura Leaves - 2 cups, tightly packed
Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Channa Dhal - 1 tblsp
Red Chilli - 7 (increase or decrease depending on your spice level)
Salt to taste
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Sesame Oil - 2 tblsp

How to make:
Separate the Gongura leaves from the stem and wash them.
In a pan, heat a tblsp of oil, add the channa dhal, coriander seeds and red chillies. Fry till golden brown and cool down. Grind to a coarse powder.
In the same pan, add the gongura leaves and saute well, till the leaves shrink in size and becomes dark green.
Grind the gongura leaves along with powder and salt. Add little water and grind to a thick paste.
In the same, heat the remaining oil, add the mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
Add this paste, and saute for few minutes. Cool and store in an air tight container.


Comments