Kothamalli | Cilantro Thogayal

Every time I go grocery shopping I always get 2 - 3 bunches of fresh cilantro. I just love the smell of cilantro and end up garnishing almost all the dishes with it! I just get a feeling of freshness after using it. Smells wow! So I got an extra bunch this time and thought of making thogayal with it. It can be stored in a air tight container for upto 10 days and goes as a side dish with almost anything - dosa, idly, chappathi or even rice. I even used this as a dip for baby carrots :) I have mentioned 2 bunches in the recipe, what I actually did was used one full bunch along with the stem (discard the very thick portion of the stem, thin portion can be used) and stems alone of 2 other bunches, so it is equal to two bunches in total. You can use the stems or only the leaves. It makes no difference in taste.

Ingredients Required:
Cilantro - 2 bunch with stem
Urad Dhal - 1/4 cup (I like mine to be crunchy with the dhal, if you want you can reduce the amount)
Tamrind paste - 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
Hing - pinch
Red Chilli -8 (or depending on your taste)
Oil - 1 tblspn

How to make?
Chop the cilantro along with the stem, wash well and set aside to dry.
Heat oil in a pan, and add the Urad dhal, red chillies and hing. Fry till the dhal is golden in color.
Grind into a fine powder.
To the pan, add the chopped cilantro and fry for few more minutes. Allow to cool down.
Add the cilantro in to the mixie with the powdered spices and pulse few times along with salt.
Avoid adding water, if it does not blend add maximum of 1 tblspn of water.

Goes well with white rice and ghee. Also accompanies curd rice.

Shelf life - 1 week refrigerated in air tight container.

Comments