Vellam | Jaggary Poha Puttu

I love the rice puttu especially the ones that my paati makes. She makes them whenever I visit her knowing that it is one of my favorites. I know that the procedure for making Rice Puttu is quite a long process so I have not tried my hands on that till now. But this Aval Puttu, is a simpler version and just as tasty as the rice puttu. This is the first time I tried this, but now since I know that it is a very simple one I am sure to make this quite often :)

Serves 2
Ingredients Required:
Thick Aval/Poha - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1/4 cup + 2 tblspn (adjust the amount to your sweet tooth)
Salt - a pinch
Cashews - 6

Ghee - 1 tblspn
Coconut flakes - 3 tblspn

How to make?
Dry roast the aval for few minutes till it changes to light brown and coarsely powder it in a blender. Set aside.
Add a pinch of salt and sprinkle few tblspn of warm water on the aval and start crumbling the mixture with your fingertips. Continue doing this until you can make a ball out of it but when let loose it should crumble back to the normal state.
Keep this crumbled aval covered for 5 - 10 minutes.
Heat ghee in a pan and fry the cashews till golden brown and set aside.
Add the coconut flakes and fry for few seconds in ghee and add this to the aval.
Take the grated or roughly chopped jaggery in a vessel and add a little water just enough to cover the jaggery and heat this in medium heat, till the jaggery comes to boil and thickens. It should form a ball when a tsp of jaggery is dropped in cold water.
Remove the jaggery and pour over the aval mixture. Crumble them with your fingertips so the jaggery as mixed well with the aval and is of crumbled form.
Garnish this with the fried cashews.

Comments