Kamarkattu | Coconut Jaggery Balls

Kamarkattu is a traditional sweet made from Jaggery and Coconut gratings flavored with cardamon. With just 3 ingredients, this is such a delicacy!
This takes me back to my childhood days, where my paati (grandmom) used to make this specially for me. And she used to hide some extras in the kitchen so she can treat me whenever I crave for them. These are super delicious and easy to pop in the mouth on the go. I used to just keep popping them as I cannot stop munching on them. Once in the mouth, keep sucking on them to enjoy the flavor for a long time. Gradually it would start melting in your mouth. This is healthy as well!

Though my paati is no more, this is one of the many fond memories that I enjoy with her. I craved to eat them last week, and tried recreating the delicacy. And it came out exactly the same as my paati's. And not to say, it was over in a day! As I said, you cannot stop with just one!




Makes 25 balls
Ingredients Required:
Grated Coconut - 1 cup (can use frozen)
Jaggery - 1 cup
Cardamon - 1 tsp
Ghee - 1+1 tbsp ( for coating)

How to make?

  1. Dry roast the coconut to remove moisture if any, till they are light brown.
  2. Dissolve jaggery in 1/4 cup of water by heating.
  3. Filter for impurities.
  4. Start boiling the jaggery again still hard paagu consistency is reached.
  5. Test the consistency of the jaggery by dropping  a little jaggery in a cowl of water. If you are able to make a hard ball out of this, then it is the correct consistency. Else boil for some more time.
  6. Once the correct consistency is reached, add the grated coconut, ghee and cardamon. 
  7. Mix well. Keep on the flame for couple of minutes.
  8. Keep stirring till all the extra moisture has gone. 
  9. The mixture should leave the sides without sticking.
  10. Spoon out small portions (1 tblspn) of this mixture in a plate.
  11. Grease your hands with ghee and start making balls from the spooned out portions.
  12. Store in an air tight container.




Notes:
Depending on the type of jaggery, the color of the kamarkattu would vary. As you can see in the pictures, I made them twice and the color is different as I used different types of jaggery.

Comments